First Place for Youth is rapidly growing. We are an innovative and entrepreneurial nonprofit organization whose programs proactively challenge the trends among former foster youth by building self-esteem, self-reliance, and forging the skills necessary for successful independent living. First Place for Youth is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
First Place is dedicated to creating a work environment that is invigorating, fulfilling, and based on mutual respect, where creativity and innovation are both recognized and rewarded. We are strongly committed to our employees’ personal and professional development and believe that our staff are the most important assets of the organization.
Without informed, empowered, and satisfied employees, First Place cannot support foster kids as they learn to support themselves. In order to achieve our mission, First Place believes that all staff must embody our core competencies in their behavior and actions:
The Relentless Pursuit of Excellence
First Place staff possess strong drive, initiative, and motivation. We use data to improve performance. We are resilient in persisting through setbacks and focus on results.
First Place staff think interdependently, framing the goals of our department within the entire mission of First Place. We seek and utilize resources to inform and contextualize our own work. We prioritize goals so as to achieve success.
Investing in the Potential of Others
First Place staff believe in the limitless potential of our young people, our staff, and the organization. We create and utilize opportunities to build capacity so as accomplish performance objectives. We create opportunities for recognition of success, as well as provide a supportive environment in which to learn from mistakes.
First Place staff use strategic and direct communication to overcome obstacles to organizational success. We respectfully ask questions, challenge, and communicate both positive and difficult messages to our colleagues and the young people we work with.
First Place staff speak about issues truthfully and without blame. We ask questions in order to learn and are willing to be accountable for our own work. We lead by example, displaying behavior that respects the mission, young people, and organization of First Place.
Just as First Place supports our young people, we also believe in supporting our employees and their families with a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Generous healthcare options through CalChoice, providing options for PPO, HMO or Kaiser medical insurance; Dental and Vision coverage;
- Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance and an Employee Assistance Program;
- 401(k) retirement program that allows employees to make pre-tax investments in a wide selection of funds. First Place matches your contribution up to 3.5%.;
- Pre-tax commuter, child care, and health flex spending accounts;
- Generous paid time off benefits, including vacation, holidays, sick time and float days; and
- Professional development to support all staff in achieving their career objectives.
At First Place, you’ll be working with a talented, driven, and dedicated team of employees who strive for excellence in everything we do.
We are committed to ensuring a fair and equitable recruiting and hiring process that results in the appropriate match of skills, knowledge, experience, and job requirements.
- Applications are accepted electronically and will be reviewed by the appropriate hiring manager who evaluates overall experience, education, and skills required for the position.
- If we’re interested, we’ll email you a Predictive Index Survey. This only takes a few minutes to complete and can be done electronically.
- The next step, if we’re interested, would be to invite you to our office for an in-person interview with the hiring manager and key staff members.
- There may be up to two rounds of interviews.
- Before an offer is made, we will check references.
- Offers of employment are conditional upon our receipt of documentation that candidates have satisfied the following requirements:
- Fingerprint clearance via the Live Scan Service which checks the FBI, Department of Justice and Child Abuse Indexes;
- Clearance of TB and Health Screen;
- Copy of Official transcripts for positions that require a degree;
- DMV printout and proof of automobile insurance for positions that require driving.