Reports To: Director of Data and Performance Management
Schedule: Full Time
The Data and Reporting Analyst reports to the Director of Data & Performance Management. This is a key member of the Department providing data analysis, visualization, and reporting support to First Place for Youth, its Network Affiliate partners throughout the United States, and its public, foundation, and corporate funders. The Evaluation and Learning Department is focused on strengthening the organization’s reputation as an analytics leader in the child welfare and non-profit spaces, by making data and reports more accessible and informative to staff, leadership, partner organizations and funders, through the creation of well-designed dashboards, simple-to-interpret metrics, and effective training guides.
Primary responsibilities of the Data and Reporting Analyst include augmenting and maintaining the reporting infrastructure for the organization, querying the data warehouse with MySQL in addition to developing reports/dashboards within the case management system (Apricot) and business intelligence software platform (Power BI).
- The Data and Reporting Analyst is also responsible for:
- Constructing, augmenting, and/or monitoring series of internal dashboards in Power BI used by front line staff and senior leadership to drive action by staff and/or impact for the youth we serve, ensure compliance with contracts/donor reporting requirements, and support staff and managers with performance management
- Monitoring, updating, and/or where necessary, creating new reports in Apricot; and identifying strategies to reduce the number of questions, forms, and assessments we ask our staff as part of broader data reduction efforts
- Providing documentation, training or technical assistance to staff in accessing and using Apricot and Power BI, manage staff accounts and permissions, provide data entry support to direct service staff when necessary, and maintain confidential data files
- Helping to manage internal metrics dictionary and ensure reports are accurate
- Collaborating with program staff and managers to ensure accuracy and reliability of agency data, and full compliance with internal and external data standards
- Supporting improvements to the organization’s data warehouse and helping to automate key reports
- Responding to complex data requests that require advanced reporting capabilities, and automating the production of standard ones
- Completing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports in collaboration with the Program Department
- Supporting the creation of novel analyses and/or new data visualizations and reports to monitor data quality, support the evaluation of our impact, or improve the design and quality of data presented
- Work in collaboration with colleagues to achieve organizational, departmental, and individual priorities
- Troubleshoot errors/bugs in Apricot & Power BI and work with vendors to resolve
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in related field such as computer science, data analytics, economics, or public policy required.
- Two years of experience as a data/business intelligence analyst with in-depth experience working with and using MySQL and data visualization in Power BI is required.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated knowledge of building and updating reports/dashboards in data visualization tool (ideal candidates will have experience doing so with Microsoft’s Power BI) .
- Experience providing database or data reporting support in a social service agency is a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (particularly excel) .
- Strong Microsoft Excel, case management system and business intelligence software experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve complex problems and identify and scale solutions .
- Ability to effectively monitor numerous data related details and accurately identify any errors or missing information .
- Ability to generate data reports that are fully accurate in a timely manner .
- Exceptional customer service skills with a friendly, flexible, and professional demeanor able to interact with direct line staff to answer questions, problem-solve issues, and provide trainings .
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL – Ability to work with high level of detail, work has high level of professional polish down to smallest details, documents and products are well thought out and clear, database is organized and up to date.
- DRIVEN BY ACCOMPLISHMENT – Clarity on project goals and the personal drive to accomplish tasks, finished projects are thorough and delivered on time. High level of personal accountability for the quality and impact of work
- COMPUTER SKILLS — Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, Project and Outlook. Experience with database systems.
- STRONG COMMUNICATION SKILLS – Exceptional oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to research, assimilate, and analyze information, compose engaging messages, and present data in a clear and inspiring manner.
- HIGH LEVEL OF PROFESSIONALISM – A high level of professionalism in work and interpersonal interactions with both internal and external contacts, presents to others as organized, informed, and friendly.
- DECISIVE NATURE – Well-honed ability to independently anticipate and analyze situations, define problems and objectives, recognize viable alternatives, and formulate rapid solutions, with understanding of the inherent risks and the implications of making tough decisions.
Required of all staff for successful performance at First Place
RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
- Intentional use of data to improve performance
- Possesses strong drive, initiative and motivation
- Detail and Results orientation
- Demonstrates good work habits
- Resiliency in persisting through setbacks
- Demonstrated success, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource-constrained environment.
- Seeks and utilizes resources to inform and contextualize own work
- Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision
- Synthesizes information to make astute recommendations and/or decisions
- Prioritizes goals for success.
INVESTMENT IN OTHERS
- Creates an environment that maximizes the return on investment in others
- Collaborates to set and achieve goals that comport with First Place’s mission, strategic plan and desired measurable outcomes
- Creates and utilizes development opportunities to address individual needs and capacity to accomplish performance objectives
- Creates and identifies opportunities for recognition of success
- Provides supportive environment to learn from mistakes.
- Courageous, strategic, clear and direct communication that resolves discrepancies and overcomes challenges and obstacles to organizational success
- Ability to respectfully ask questions, challenge, and communicate both positive and difficult messages to subordinates, superiors, peers and youth
- Sound judgment regarding the appropriateness of guarding confidentiality to protect the privacy rights of colleagues or youth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Asks questions in order to learn and encourage dialogue
- Willing to make mistakes and to be accountable for own work
- Speaks about issues truthfully and without blame
- Leads by example, displaying behavior that respects the mission, youth and First Place
- Holds high expectations for self, one another and for our youth.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume in ONE document to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=417bb098-c12e-4e4b-ad8c-69dde4f46f54&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=250501&source=CC2&lang=en_US