Reports To: Vice President Of Evaluation and Learning
Location: Oakland, CA
Schedule: Monday through Friday, evenings and weekends as needed
Compensation: Full-time, commensurate with experience. Full benefits.
The Director of Data and Performance Management is a seasoned, results-oriented professional with a successful track record of providing leadership and oversight over the implementation and submission of program, development, employee performance-related and contract required data metrics and reports associates with organizational performance. This position will be responsible for the implementation and operations oversight of the organization’s performance measurement systems, decision-support tools and processes for promoting the practice of using data reports and visualizations as a critical tool for program modification and improvement, and for ensuring that the appropriate analyses and reports are prepared and disseminated to meet internal and external reporting and compliance requirements. These systems include, but are not limited to:
- Apricot cloud-based performance management and reporting system,
- Qlik enterprise data visualization platform,
- R Studio,
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) data warehouse, and
- My SQL workbench.
Experience in the development of dynamic data visualizations, data mining and workflow processes, systems integration, as well as overall data governance and quality assurance is strongly preferred. This individual provides direction, supervision, oversight and technical assistance as needed for operational issues and to manage departmental workflow. In addition, the Director of Data and Performance Management – in collaboration with the Vice President of Evaluation and Learning – coordinates and supports the execution of strategic evidence-building initiatives and special evaluation and technical innovation projects.
The Director of Data and Performance Management reports to the Vice President of Evaluation and Learning, supervises Data and Evaluation Analysts and serves as a primary day-to-day resource throughout the organization around data and performance management related activities and deliverables. The Director of Data and Performance Management will ensure that data is routinely collected and reviewed to support management and staff to ensure that program implementation meets quality, fidelity and accountability standards and is based on robust research relevant to First Place’s work. This position requires an individual with deep public sector performance management experience and technical expertise to maintain our capacity to infuse and sustain a data- and evidence-based culture of learning and continuous quality improvement.
- Manages the performance management and evaluation activities and practices of the organization.
- Establishes and implements operational goals for the department as a basis for productivity, performance, results and accountability.
- Hires, trains, develops, supervises and evaluates department staff, interns and/or volunteers.
- Designs, facilitates and supports routine practices and training to promote and ensure the entry and use of data to improve program implementation, modifications, accountability and outcomes across the organization and program sites.
- Manages and refines data collection, analyses and reporting tools and instruments for use across programs and the organization, including for direct service staff, management and executive teams and for the Board of Directors.
- Establishes and implements comprehensive data standards, policies, procedures and training to support efficient, accurate and timely data tracking and to ensure data quality and integrity, including reliability and validity.
- Establishes standards and oversees the timely completion and dissemination of external reports to meet, public and private funder and compliance requirements.
- Establishes standards and manages the analyses, preparation and dissemination of internal reports around program and youth progress reports and to support the organization’s annual performance evaluations.
- Designs, prepares and updates regular reporting tools (e.g. quarterly dashboards) to keep management, Board and external partners informed around key performance metrics
Data Base Management
- Responsible for the management, operations, troubleshooting and workflow management of the organization’s decentralized Apricot-based database, Qlik business intelligence software, and AWS Data warehouse to support the full range of organizational data and reporting needs across programs and sites. Manages all data related to vendor relations, including with Social Solutions (Apricot database provider) and other providers as needed.
- Develops routine and specialized trainings and provides technical assistance to ensure that staff across the organization and program sites are fully trained and able to access and utilize key database systems, tools and reports.
- Research and Continuous Quality Improvement
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Evaluation and Learning, senior management and external consultants/evaluators to support the implementation of ongoing rigorous evaluation studies.
- Develops, manages, and maintains a user-friendly and up-to-date repository of internal and external research, evaluation findings, historical data analyses and resources on foster-care, transition age youth, and comparable populations and programs.
- Coordinates and provides access to datasets and development of data sharing agreements with external evaluation and technology partners.
- Provides technical assistance, data and systematized reporting solutions for the organization’s improvement methodology and execution of Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA’s) cycles.
- Master’s degree in related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in data and performance management related field, demonstrating progressively higher levels of responsibility in managing and leading complex data management and reporting projects
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience, directing technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate sophisticated technical data into accessible, actionable and meaningful information for decision-making and program improvement
Required of all staff for successful performance at First Place
RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
- Intentional use of data to improve performance
- Possesses strong drive, initiative and motivation
- Detail and Results orientation
- Demonstrates good work habits
- Resiliency in persisting through setbacks
- Demonstrated success, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource-constrained environment.
- Seeks and utilizes resources to inform and contextualize own work
- Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision
- Synthesizes information to make astute recommendations and/or decisions
- Prioritizes goals for success.
INVESTMENT IN OTHERS
- Creates an environment that maximizes the return on investment in others
- Collaborates to set and achieve goals that comport with First Place’s mission, strategic plan and desired measurable outcomes
- Creates and utilizes development opportunities to address individual needs and capacity to accomplish performance objectives
- Creates and identifies opportunities for recognition of success
- Provides supportive environment to learn from mistakes.
- Courageous, strategic, clear and direct communication that resolves discrepancies and overcomes challenges and obstacles to organizational success
- Ability to respectfully ask questions, challenge, and communicate both positive and difficult messages to subordinates, superiors, peers and youth
- Sound judgment regarding the appropriateness of guarding confidentiality to protect the privacy rights of colleagues or youth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Asks questions in order to learn and encourage dialogue
- Willing to make mistakes and to be accountable for own work
- Speaks about issues truthfully and without blame
- Leads by example, displaying behavior that respects the mission, youth and First Place
- Holds high expectations for self, one another and for our youth.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume in ONE document to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=417bb098-c12e-4e4b-ad8c-69dde4f46f54&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=313467&source=CC2&lang=en_US