Reports To: Housing Manager
Location: Alameda ,CA
Schedule: Full time (based on a set schedule determined with employer, including evenings and weekends. Tuesday to Thursday 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.)
Compensation: $19 per hour
First Place for Youth is seeking to fill a Housing Site Specialist position for our My First Place program in Alameda, CA. This position will provide critical on-site support to foster youth ages 18-21 who are living on their own often for the first time. The selected candidate will work out of the designated office space in an eight-unit complex that houses up to 17 youth in Alameda at the former naval base in the City of Alameda. The Housing Site Specialist is needed to be on the Alameda site grounds most nights in order to respond to emergencies and address after hours crisis with the youth tenants.
The selected candidate will report to the Housing Manager and work closely with the program staff to oversee all daily property management functions .This individual will develop and preserve partnerships with maintenance contractors and our Alameda Point Collaborative partners. In addition to property management duties, the position is designed to work closely with case management staff and is responsible for monitoring and intervening in youth tenancy and behavioral issues that affect their housing. Additionally, they must be comfortable establishing appropriate boundaries and setting firm limits for residents, enforcing program rules, and providing crisis intervention.
Safety and Crisis Response
- Assist with crisis/ emergency situations during after hours, including reminding participants of agreements and contacting on-call or emergency services if needed.
- Nightly apartment checks to ensure that youth residents are adhering to housing guidelines.
- Maintain expertise with crisis protocols and respond immediately to crisis situations.
- Complete necessary paperwork involved in documenting and reporting crisis situations.
- Help create a safe and supportive living environment for residents at all times.
- Monitor foot traffic/visitors, curfews and noise level, check facility and grounds to ensure safety.
- Assist residents with lockouts whenever possible.
- Regular review of security camera footage to ensure youth residents are adhering to FPFY’s rules and regulations.
Operations and Management
- Perform property and resident management duties for an assigned portfolio of single site housing in Alameda serving 17 youth residents.
- Oversee and coordinate move and relocation activities including thoroughly reviewing house rules and signing housing paperwork with each new resident, conducting property orientations, scheduling and coordinating move-in dates, coordinating delivery of furniture, coordinating apartment repairs and turnover work, copying keys and other housing related duties as needed.
- Ensure properties are physically maintained and meet habitability and safety standards in accordance with program regulations and First Place guidelines.
- Conduct move-in/out, quarterly and special inspections including lead paint assessments. Document condition of units and work with property owner, vendors and maintenance staff to perform necessary work.
- Submit to the Housing Manager for approval proposals with budgets for any repairs, maintenance, improvements, materials, equipment, purchases exceeding $500 and all proposed appliance purchases.
- Oversee all maintenance, repairs and unit turnovers in accordance with established Maintenance Policy and Procedure which includes receiving requests, opening work orders and tracking progress in the property management database, inspecting or verifying work is completed correctly, and closing out work order documenting expenses.
- Source and maintain vendor relationships adhering to First Place requirements.
- Maintain master key system, update key log, track lock changes and obtain new keys.
- Encourage and role model interaction with Janitorial and Maintenance staff.
- Attend youth team meetings as assigned, weekly program meetings, monthly agency staff meetings, regular trainings as assigned, and individual weekly supervision with Service Partnership manager.
Administration and Compliance
- Maintain as current all electronic and hard copy resident, landlord, vendor and work order files in accordance with program regulations and First Place guidelines.
- Update daily/weekly property management software, tracking systems and program databases to support property, resident and program evaluation and outcomes tracking. This also includes confirming program funding source is accurate and updated.
- Ensure timely and accurate resident, landlord, property, slating, and vacancy information, inspection and work order data and housing issues and resolutions and notes.
- Review monthly landlords and residents rent roll for accuracy and update to reflect all rent increases, proration’s and correct funding sources.
- Complete and timely process required department paperwork including housing agreements, notices, resident close-outs, check requests, invoices and reports.
- Adhere to all fair housing, ADA, landlord/tenant and program laws/regulations.
- Participate in resident screening activities, providing accurate information on units and vacancies.
- Serve as responsive point of contact for Alameda Point Collaborative partners.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization and within respective department providing information and follow-up.
- Cultivate, preserve and exercise professional and responsive external relations with vendors, landlords, neighbors, and other community partners.
Mentorship to promote independent living skills and good tenancy
- Model values of First Place: respect, honesty, responsibility, accountability, justice, community, and empowerment. Act as a neighbor and role model at all times.
- Modeling positive and proactive attitudes, behaviors, and language.
- Ensure that apartments meet minimum cleanliness standards by conducting apartment inspections quarterly at minimum and between client moves.
- Reinforce independent living skills and provide support regarding youth’s transition into independent living, individual goals, and future planning.
- Promote and sustain a friendly, youth oriented presence to promote health and well-being among residents.
- High school degree or equivalent is required, Associates Degree a plus.
- Two years of experience working with at-risk populations required and particularly at-risk youth.
- Experience with residential counseling or resident service backgrounds a plus.
- Sensitivity to the issues facing youth coming from foster care, the probation system or homelessness. Strong interest in working with youth and young adults. Strong personal boundaries very important.
- Must demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural differences and a commitment to the value of cultural competency.
- Experience working in property management, affordable housing and/or residential property management setting preferred.
- Working knowledge of landlord-tenant, fair housing, and ADA laws with the ability to comprehend regulatory and legal agreements, contracts and housing industry publications.
- Working knowledge of work order systems and basic apartment maintenance.
- Ability to organize and manage processes and facilitate schedules and logistics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook and data tracking software.
- Excellent customer service skills
- High level accuracy and personal accountability for the quality and impact of work.
- Excellent communication skills, professional demeanor, sound judgment, and strong organizational skills.
- Capacity to work independently in the field, and a willingness to work collaboratively.
- Proficiency with Office 2010 applications including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, Project and Outlook. Experience with database systems.
- Must have a dependable car, valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
- Must be able to pass a Community Care Licensing background check.
Required of all staff for successful performance at First Place
RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
- Intentional use of data to improve performance
- Possesses strong drive, initiative and motivation
- Detail and Results orientation
- Demonstrates good work habits
- Resiliency in persisting through setbacks
- Demonstrated success, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource-constrained environment.
- Seeks and utilizes resources to inform and contextualize own work
- Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision
- Synthesizes information to make astute recommendations and/or decisions
- Prioritizes goals for success.
INVESTMENT IN OTHERS
- Creates an environment that maximizes the return on investment in others
- Collaborates to set and achieve goals that comport with First Place’s mission, strategic plan and desired measurable outcomes
- Creates and utilizes development opportunities to address individual needs and capacity to accomplish performance objectives
- Creates and identifies opportunities for recognition of success
- Provides supportive environment to learn from mistakes.
- Courageous, strategic, clear and direct communication that resolves discrepancies and overcomes challenges and obstacles to organizational success
- Ability to respectfully ask questions, challenge, and communicate both positive and difficult messages to subordinates, superiors, peers and youth
- Sound judgment regarding the appropriateness of guarding confidentiality to protect the privacy rights of colleagues or youth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Asks questions in order to learn and encourage dialogue
- Willing to make mistakes and to be accountable for own work
- Speaks about issues truthfully and without blame
- Leads by example, displaying behavior that respects the mission, youth and First Place
- Holds high expectations for self, one another and for our youth.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume in ONE document to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=417bb098-c12e-4e4b-ad8c-69dde4f46f54&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=333967&source=CC2&lang=en_US