Young people often have little more than a small bag of belongings when they come to us. Some are coming from group homes or foster homes and others are coming directly from the streets. My First Place participants are moving into their first apartment and beginning to build their life skills, while continuing their education and finding their first job. They need many essential items that most of them cannot afford.
You can help by donating Gift Cards to grocery stores and department stores like Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.
We understand that gift cards are not typically the most exciting things to shop for, but they are fantastic in-kind donations for us for a number of reasons.
- Youth get to practice independently shopping for their needs, with a positive impact on their sense of agency and self-confidence
- Our direct service staff can use gift cards as part of instilling budgeting skills (e.g., paying attention to account balance and cost of items).
- Gift cards can be applied to more location-specific or unanticipated needs.
High priority needs during COVID-19
As we continue to support our young people through the ongoing pandemic, supplies for personal health and safety remain in demand. You can help us protect our young people and reduce their risk of exposure to COVID-19 by donating:
- Reusable cloth masks
- Disposable surgical and N/KN95 masks
- Hand sanitizer
- Surface sanitizing wipes and household disinfectant cleaners (Lysol, Clorox, etc.)
- Uber/Lyft gift cards to help youth get to and from work
Donations of new school, work, and household supplies are also always welcomed.
Your donations of supplies are received with excitement and gratitude by our young people. Below are examples of specific items that would help our participants to build their futures and achieve their goals. High priority needs are marked with an asterisk (*).